Board filtering and sorting
The search function allows you to filter the work items on your kanban board by a free text that will be compared with all data displayed on the card. This way, you can quickly find the items of a specific user, category, design element, tag… and of course by id and title. This text filter is fully compatible with the more advanced filtering features.
Besides the general division by category that can be activated from the left panel, the kanban boards allow you to set additional filters to visualize your boards from different points of view. This way you can do things like taking a look at your assigned work items only, maybe the critical ones, or view the ones belonging to a specific design element. You can create complex filters using one or more rules based on different item fields, and then select activate/deactivate them from the filter dropdown on the header of the kanban panel. The item fields that can be used to create the filters are:
- Design Element
- Design Element including children
- Estimated cost
- Logged cost
- Due date
- Closing date
- Creation date
Also, depending on the selected field, each rule can use different operators:
- Equal / Not equal
- Lower than / Higher than (for costs)
- Older than / Newer than (for dates)
The filters can be managed by clicking on the filter button located on the kanban board header. The modal dialog that shows up allows you to create and edit existing filters that are stored and can be quickly toggled on or off.
Other important features of the filters are:
- AND/OR operator: By default, filters use the AND operator, meaning all the defined rules should be met for the filter to pass, but you can also set the OR operator, which will make the filter pass if at least one of the rules is met.
- Multiselection (Personal Plus & Studio): Our premium tiers allow you to define and store several filters and then you can toggle on multiple ones at the same time by selecting them from the filter drodpdown menu on the kanban board. This is so useful to combine filters without having to create new ones.
- Filter Sharing (Studio): If you are an admin of a project in a Studio workspace, you can create filters and share them with the rest of the team. Bigger teams can setup commonly used filters for everyone, which can save a lot of time of all the team setting filters up.
By default, work items on the kanban board can be sorted manually by using drag and drop, which is normally used to define the priority of those items. You can select a different sorting method by selecting it from a dropdown list on the kanban board header. This is available for all tiers. The available sorting fields are:
- Manual (default)
- Title (alphabetical ascending)
- Design Element
- Due Date
- Creation Date
- Closing Date
- Estimated Cost
- Logged Cost
Design Element Grouping (Personal Plus & Studio)
The premium users also have the possibility of grouping items by design element, which allows you to get a really high-level overview of the board and also reduce the number of tems shown at the same time since groups are collapsible. You can activate this mode by clicking on Action -> Edit display options.