HacknPlan provides an extensive notification system that informs the rest of your team when you did something relevant. Which users will receive what notifications will depend very much on the type of action performed, the permissions, and the configuration of the users. Notifications can be sent to users using three different methods: UI, email, and Slack.
- UI: The UI notifications are displayed on the HacknPlan application, so are appropriate if you only want to be notified when are using the tool. When a new notification arrives, you get a visual alert as a red badge on the bell icon on the application header. By clicking on this icon, a sliding panel appears to show you the list of notifications. You can dismiss them by clicking on the trash can button. We strongly recommend keeping this panel clean to minimize loading of data and, in case you don’t really care about UI notifications, disable them from your user settings.
- Email: You can also receive notifications in your email inbox. By default, we only activate email notifications for important events, like a new user is added to the team or a task is completed, so we don’t spam you. You can configure which exact notifications you want to receive from your user settings.
- Slack (Personal Plus & Studio): Additionally, premium users can link Slack channels to projects and receive notifications from HacknPlan there. The receiver of the notification is no longer a HacknPlan user, but a Slack channel or user, so permissions and configurations don’t apply and it’s the admin responsibility to prevent notifications to be displayed to users who should not see them. You can read more about the Slack integration on this dedicated article.
Users can decide how to get notifications (on the UI, by email, both or none of them) for different notification types by configuring them on their user settings. The types are grouped into 4 general sections:
- Project notifications: General notifications about users added or removed from the project.
- Task notifications: Most notifications are about tasks, when are they created, updated, or deleted. Depending on the specific action performed, you will get those notifications whether you are admin, creator or assigned to that specific task.
- Game design model notifications: Notifications about creation, update and deletion of game design elements.